My dad has been doing scouting ever since I could remember. He participated as a kid growing up in Montana. He loved it then, and he loves it today. One of his accomplishments is he can tie a Bowline knot in 1 second. His leaders didn't know very much about scouting so he only advanced to a Second Class scout, but the program has influenced him his whole life.
He has been involved with it for the past 29 years and counting. He was always a good example in scouting to my brothers, encouraging and helping all 5 of them to get their Eagle Scout Award. He was always encouraging me too when it came to getting my Young Woman's Medallion He always told me it was just as important as an Eagle Scout.He created 2 (that I recall) Pinewood Derby tracks made out of metal. There was a lot of work involved with these tracks, setting them up and taking them down, for our ward as well as many other wards that wished to rent them.

He has participated in a lot of camp outs like Wood Badge and Little Lemhi (honestly he has done a lot more than this, I just don't know the names of all of them).
He also has held many callings including Cub Committee Chairman, Boy Scout Committee Chairman, Unit Advancement Chairman, 11 Year Old Scout Leader, Merit Badge Counselor, and Cubmaster. Whew!My dad is great in scouting, but he is also a great father! This is the whole family at Chris' wedding last fall.
He always makes time for each one of us kids, growing up and now, and he always makes sure that we know he loves us. Dad worked hard to provide for our family and always gave us everything we needed. He also served his community as a police officer for Idaho Falls for 31 years.
He is a good example of working hard and always taught us, whatever we were doing, to do it right the first time. He taught us all to be well organized and keep our things in order. He taught us to respect our elders, and everyone around us. We were blessed with the priesthood in our home as a result of my dad honoring it. He is a faithful home teacher, and always lends a helping hand when asked. He presided at weekly FHEs and always taught us with the Spirit. He is a devoted husband to my mom and always taught us to respect her. He taught me many aspects of what a successful marriage takes.
He supported us in all our activities and even sat and listened to us while we practiced the piano (and sometimes it wasn't very pretty). He encouraged and supported all 5 sons on missions across the world, and was there when all six of us were married in the temple. While nobody is perfect, I'm thankful for a dad who tried his hardest at everything. He has always been there for us! Not bragging or anything, but I think his crop turned out pretty good! He was the best dad a girl could ask for, and I'm proud to have him as my father.Yesterday, my dad received his Silver Beaver.
CONGRATULATIONS DAD! I'm so proud of you and love you very much!
3 comments:
Hey Missy - I want the group pics from Chris's wedding... do you have them? :)
I'm so sad I did not get a chance to go last night!
um no. My mom sent me that picture and it was practically a thumbnail anyway. You could ask her. I kinda want one too. I'll ask her
Thanks Missy - this is a great tribute to your dad!
Post a Comment