Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Louisville, KY

Day trip to Louisville, KY...

We had to have lots of toys to keep him occupied on the way there.
Loves to push the buttons on his CD player.

Also loves getting his shoes off and playing with the Velcro.
Churchill Downs...



He would have loved to have been there for real.  Maybe next year.

Race'n with Andrew

I actually one this one!  I had a good strategy...

Now this is my kind of garland...
Star Gazers!
We took a tour while we were there.  It was really neat to learn some history about Churchill Downs, the Kentucky Derby and the horses who raced there.  It is amazing how much CASH (they don't except anything else) is exchanged there in one day!  We also learned that the trophy is made of 4lbs solid gold.  It was really hot that day... somewhere around 104 Degrees I think.
The Paddock... where the riders mount.

Winners Circle

The Finish Line


Grand Stands!



Secretariat-- we learned alot about this guy.
In his necropsy they found out his heart was
in perfect health & was significantly larger heart than that of a
normal horse. It was estimated to have weighed about 22lbs.
Most horses hearts are around 8 lbs.
All of his daughters had that same large heart gene but not his sons.
Only his X Chromosome had the gene, not the Y.
He still holds the record for the fastest time at the Kentucky Derby,
Preakness, and Belmont Stakes.

Louisville Kentucky LDS Temple...
We now live in the Louisville, KY temple district.
We thought we should go check it out.

It is a pretty small temple compared to what we are used to.
It was closed for cleaning & the grounds were closed too.
We wanted to walk around but oh well, I
guess we'll have to come back again to walk around.

Angle Moroni was so close!  I felt like I could touch him!

On our way home we stopped by KFC and had their buffet.
Andrew loved this pink stuff (after he had veggies first of course)
which to me just tasted like whipped cream.

1 comment:

Kyle and Kat said...

When we come out to visit we will have to go there, I would love to see a race!