They did a urine sample, a blood draw, and a little x-ray, but didn't really see anything alarming. His White Cell Count was normal, he wasn't throwing up, and he never had a fever... yet the pain persisted and by this point had moved more to his right side and was much sharper than before. So, after an hour of being at RediCare, we decided to go to the Emergency Room and get a CT Scan. Funny note: They had to offer us an ambulance, even though we were across the parking lot from the ER... we declined. (I wonder how many people actually take them up on that.)
In the ER, they gave him an IV, and finally got him in for the Scan (I felt this took a little longer than it should have). It took like 30-40 minutes before they read the scan and told us the results (again, this feels like forever when you are tired, and someone you love is groaning in pain!)
Before, anyone says anything about me taking pictures in the middle of all this...
Briant was the one who asked why I wasn't taking pictures, and said i should!
I went to the bathroom, and when I got back Briant said they had come in and said he needed surgery because he had a stone in his appendix. Seriously, I had never heard of a stone being in the appendix before... and the word 'surgery' scared me to death so I started to get emotional. For me & I'm sure for most people, the worst things run through your head, even though it is like the most routine surgery there is.
By then, it was about 6am. I called our Home Teachers and asked if they could come over to give a blessing. I texted my family... I couldn't really call anyone, because I got terrible service in the middle of the ER, and I didn't want to leave Briant for fear they would take him away without me being able to say I loved him. Plus, doctors were coming in to explain the surgery, etc.
The surgeon finally came in like 30 minutes later to tell us that they were in the process of putting Briant on the schedule and that his surgery would take place within the hour. By this point, he was saying, "Just take me away to surgery and take it out." How he wasn't worried I have no idea... I was.
They gave him some morphine and he said, "Even, though I still feel pain, this is like the best I've felt in 4 hours!"
In that hour, I called his parents, my parents came over to support us, and our home teachers were there to give Briant a blessing. How grateful I am for the Priesthood and the power behind it. It really did help to calm my nerves. They took us up to surgery & the anesthesiologist came over to explain how he would fall asleep. No idea they would stick a tube down his throat. More crying for me... I'm so glad they don't allow people to watch their loved ones during surgery.
Right before surgery
The surgery took an hour, just like the surgeon said it would. He said everything went very well, and that the appendix hadn't ruptured & didn't ooze at all. Briant was in recovery and I would have to wait an hour to see him. But like 10 minutes later the nurse that was with Briant called us and said he was doing really well and he was going to take him up to his room.
He slept a bit, and then ate ice chips, then slept some more, then had some jello and broth. By then, he was awake and talking to me like normal.
They decided since he was doing so well they would feed him a normal lunch, instead of just liquids. All he had to do to go home was to Eat, Drink, Go to the Bathroom, and Walk down the hall --all of which he did before 2pm-- so they let him go home around 2:30!!!
Briant really doesn't have that much pain. He says his abs are sore but that's really it. It was pretty funny to talk with him when he got home about some of the symptoms of post surgery because they are alot like my pregnancy symptoms. He can't really use his ab muscles when he gets off the couch as I can't, so we both roll to the side when we get up. He can't lift anything over 20 pounds... and there are like seriously 5 or 6 other similarities. We concluded that possibly one reason for men having their appendix out is to feel sympathy for pregnant ladies.
We learned alot, but wouldn't wish it upon anyone. Hospitals are definitely not fun and we are so glad this experience is over. Most especially, we are glad Briant is better!




9 comments:
That sounds similar to what I went through 2 weeks ago, except I did have the fever, vomiting, high white blood cell counts. I understand the not being able to use the abdominal muscles too. I hope he feels better soon. I was able to get back to work after a week.
that comment under Amanda's name is actually from Ryan.
Hospitals aren't always the most fun, but he end results (feeling better) make them necessary. We love you Briant
Can you believe I got all teary eyed when reading this???? Well I did!!! Anyways I am very happy that he is doing better.
You have to stop saying that it is routine surgery!
There is nothing routine about seeing your 4 year old that literally looks half dead being wheeled into surgery in the middle of the night! There is nothing routine about emergency surgery!
I am glad Briant is feeling better and wasn't in the garage riding his bike yesterday! I hope he takes it easy and rests.
Sadly, that sounds like a FAST ER experience! LOL. So sorry that you guys had to go through that. No fun!
What an exhausting experience. It's so annoying how slow hospitals are. Glad you both survived.
What a man!
Way to go Briant... now stop eating rocks. Or at least chew them better.
-Ken
That must have been so difficult to have to sit and watch!! We're so glad he's okay (and that you survived too!)
Post a Comment