Sunday, August 8, 2010

Sourdough Adventures...

As I have mentioned before, Briant's favorite "dinner" (not to be confused with his favorite food, which is Pizza) is Bowtie Pasta.  Since before we were married, he would talk up this wonderful recipe from his Aunt Lisa.  Whenever he mentioned this favorite dish, he always talked about the Sourdough breadsticks Aunt Lisa made to go along with the meal.

While making plans to make this dish again this week, I decided to attempt the Sourdough Breadsticks to go along with it.  I found a recipe in my favortie, Better Homes & Gardens, cookbook and decided it didn't look too hard.

First step, the Sourdough Starter:

I started this on Monday, because the recipe said it need 5-10 days before you could use it (depending on the temperature).  I asked my boss a bunch of 'Sourdough questions' and decide to tweak a few things the recipe said to do.  For instance, the recipe said nothing about feeding it throughout the week.  I decided to feed it because it didn't really look alive (bubby) anymore past the first day.  The recipe also called for Honey whenever you fed it, but I wanted it to be a little more sour so I didn't always follow that.

I didn't really take pictures of the making, kneading, consistancy, etc.  A girls got to keep some secrets.

Here, is the finished result after coming out of the oven:
Ugh!!! So mad at Blogger for turning these pictures and not allowing me to turn it back!!!


The recipe made two loaves of bread.   So the breadsticks took the place of the other loaf.


Briant and I determined that they turned out really well... but they could be a little more sour.

Briant was one happy man!!!

3 comments:

Mahon said...

The longer you keep your starter the more sour it will be. And you do have to feed the starter regularly for the first 1-2 weeks. Google it - there is TONS of info! (This is Cindy btw, not mahon.)

Vic and Kathy Baldwin said...

I used to have a sour dough start and you feed it every 3-5 days. Mine you fed it a cup of flour and a cup of milk (I think). I used it in hotcakes, bread, cakes, anything that you have a batter for. I remember my mother using the cream that had soured in hotcakes and boy, were they good.

the ginabean said...

I'm hungry and it's only 9:40am...