Wednesday, August 25, 2010

2010 Annual Camping Trip

This year we went on our first real camping trip together.  First, let me give you a little history... just to clear a few things up.

It has been said before that Briant hates camping.  I feel the need to clarify a little in his behalf.  Growing up, Briant went on many camping trips as a Scout.  In fact he told me that he even earned his Camping merit badge.  He also went camping with his family, and has been a quite a few camping trips since he was put in as a leader a couple years ago.  So he isn't short on experience.  However, his experience hasn't always proved to be good.  When you go camping with a bunch of Boy Scouts, you don't always get the sleep you need... and that seems to be the case as to why he didn't always enjoy it.

When I tell people that Briant doesn't love camping, their first reaction is that he doesn't like getting his hands dirty and that he is a sissy.  This definitely isn't the case.  Growing up, Briant spent a lot of his time each summer building tree forts behind his house.  He doesn't have a problem being in the woods.  I think, he just enjoys other things more than camping.

I've been wanting to go camping for a while.  In fact you may remember, the year we got married...
I set up the tent in the back yard...
...which ended with one of us going in at 6 am because it was too cold.

Okay, back to our camping trip.  I've wanted to give Briant a 'good camping experience' since we got married.  We left Friday afternoon.  I could tell Briant was dragging his feet a little as we were packing up, I think because he didn't know what to expect.  Briant likes things to be well planned, and when he doesn't know how they will turn out... he gets nervous.

We went to Big Elk Camp Grounds, just south of Palisades Reservoir. 
We got there, around 5:30 and we started to set up.  We set up the tent, I got the fire started so it would be ready for our dinner, and Briant put together our camp stove.  When he finished he said, "That wasn't as complicated as I thought it was going to be."  I was like, "Yeah, that's why I wanted to bring it!"


Then, we put our dinner on the coals!  TIN FOIL DINNERS... Mmmmm!  I didn't take as long as I thought it would; I think putting rocks in the fire was a genius idea!


After dinner we doused the fire & went for a stroll by the lake.

We saw a crane, fish jumping, oh and those cute little furry chipmunks.  That night we roasted Starburst, made a smore, and talked under the stars.  We watch the moon rise and saw a bat fly over our heads.  We actually could have used a card game to occupy the time... but while I was packing I was thinking more about everything we would need to eat good & sleep comfortably, not stuff to play with. 

We slept great that night!!!  For breakfast we had buttermilk pancakes and bacon!  They turned out perfect.  Cooking on that stove was better than my stove at home... everything cooks way more evenly.

After we did the dishes, we packed up to go home.  I was taking the tent to the car and guess what I saw?  All the car doors open and one of those cute furry chipmunks.... IN OUR CAR!!!  I did get a video but it is way too long to put up, and our friend only made a tiny appearance.  We ended up taking everything out again but never saw the chipmunk leave.  We loaded everything back in, really not knowing if he was still in there.  I was so paranoid the whole drive home.

We had to stop by the reservoir, it was beautiful!

Overall we had a great trip, and in the end Briant agreed to have an annual camping trip!!! YEAH!

4 comments:

the ginabean said...

Wow. Nothing can beat that video of Briant frolicking and singing in the meadow. NOTHING!

Glad y'all had a good time!

Gurr Family said...

Can we go with you next year?

Kyle and Kat said...

One of the gals in the S&R puts cream of mushroom in her tinfoil dinners, we haven't tried it yet but I heard it is yummy!
And that video of Briant is hilarious!

Giggles said...

Looks like a great trip. There's nothing like a little frolic in a meadow to make your day.