Sunday, December 20, 2009

Giles Annual Christmas Newsletter 2009


I'm very excited this year to sit down and write our very first annual Christmas newsletter. Briant and I have stayed busy all year. Here is what we have been up to...

Briant continues to work for Melaleuca. He works in Marketing on the vitamins/supplements/nutritional foods side of the business, which he really enjoys. He went to Orlando, FL for their convention this year... too bad he was working too hard to have any fun. Briant also serves with the Teacher's Quorum in our ward as the Varsity Scout Coach. They biked and hiked in Sun Valley in August for their High Adventure trip. I think Briant had just as much, if not more fun, than the boys did. I was happy because he returned having had a "positive experience" camping! Now maybe he'll want to go with me!?! I am so grateful for Briant in our home and in my life. He is very smart and on top of everything he does. He has always had great ambition and drive to go forward and plan for 'our' future, and is taking those necessary steps to do so. I am so thankful for all the help he gives around our house and I love him so much.

I have now passed the six year mark for working at Great Harvest Bread Co. I started baking sweets again in the summer and am now spending much of this holiday season making their yummy Pumpkin Rolls. I was put in as the Young Women's Camp Director this summer and then as Young Women Secretary shortly after. I had a great experience at camp and continue to enjoy working with the Young Women. I had the opportunity to volunteer again this year for Camp Magical Moments as a camp counselor. I also planted a garden this year, and it was a huge success! I learned so much and was in constant awe at how fast it grew! Thanks to those who answered all of my MANY questions!

Briant and I took many fun trips this year, short and long. We went to Pennsylvania to visit Briant's family in May and had a blast! We were able to do a lot during that week, but some of the highlights were watching BYU's ballroom dance team perform, seeing historical sites in Washington DC and Gettysburg, and hiking along the Appalachian Trail. It was a great visit, and we can't wait to go back for more! Thanks to his parents again for their good company and wonderful hospitality!

We also took the opportunity to go to Yellowstone National Park for a day in August. We saw a lot of beautiful scenery, the Lower Falls in Yellowstone's Grand Canyon, Old Faithful, and many other spectacular geysers and wildlife! We saw a golden eagle, herds of buffalo (from a distance and up close) and even heard elk bugling.

We are very grateful for the times that we have been able to spend with family this year. It's fun getting together with all of the family that we live close to. Most of the my family lives close, so we are able to see them often.
We went to Jackson Hole with the Baldwin's early in the year and had a great time swimming at the recreation center. We were also able to spend a night or two with them at the Barn in Ashton and had a lot of fun playing Sardines! We have been able to get together with all the Baldwin's several times, whether it is for a birthday or just for fun.
Briant's family came to Idaho in September to help his little brother get situated for college at BYUI. They were able to spend some time with us, and it was good to see them again! It really is too bad they don't live closer! It has been really fun having Spencer so close and getting to have him down to spend time with us every now and again. We also enjoyed the times we went to Utah to visit friends and family and even to watch a BYU football game.
We are especially grateful for the Christmas season that is upon us. We have been able to create a few of our own Christmas traditions, along with setting up our very first 'real' tree as a married couple (I never had a real one growing up). We are grateful for Jesus Christ, whose humble birth we celebrate during this season. We are thankful to him for the sacrifice he made for each one of us and for the things he has taught us. By remembering him this season and doing as he would, we know that the true Spirit of Christmas can touch each of us.
We wish each of you a very Merry Christmas and a wonderful New Year! May peace and happiness be in your home always along with the joy that only the Prince of Peace can bring.
Love,
Briant and Melissa

3 comments:

Gurr Family said...

It is great to hear that you guys are doing so well. I miss hanging out with you. We need to get together. Have a Merry Christmas!

Ashley said...

Sounds like you've had a fun year, but our Christmas letter is better.

http://feigningfertility.blogspot.com/2009/12/christmas-letter.html

The Rittman Family

Ashley said...

p.s. shout out.

http://feigningfertility.blogspot.com/2009/12/best-christmas-card-ever.html