Sunday, August 23, 2009

Yellowstone National Park

Since Briant has been working some pretty long hours the past few months for the Melaleuca convention, his boss gave him a couple days off this last week.
So what do you do if you both have the day off work? Go on a mini vacation of course. Briant has never been to Yellowstone so we decided that would be a fun place to go on a day vacation.

We decided to go to the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone first to see the Lower Falls (my personal favorite). On the way we stopped at Yellowstone Lake for a little break and guess who we saw?

None other than my Aunt Pam and her friend Barbara. Guess they thought YNP was the place to be as well!

As we drove through Hayden Valley, we saw a lot of buffalo! This one came really close to us. How cool!

We found this sign somewhere in our travels and Briant really liked it.
Please remember that Bison are dangerous. We found out, the French pronounce it "Bizohn". We thought that was kinda funny and we couldn't understand what they were saying at first.
The Lower Falls was spectacular as always.
No matter how many times I've seen it, it still takes my breath away.
I forgot how blueish green the water is.
I'm so glad me and my man could go together.
The Yellowstone Grand Canyon is one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen... and Briant is the most handsome.

If I had a computer at work, this would definitely be the screen saver.

I would suggest to anyone who goes to see this waterfall to go to the lookout right next to where the water goes over the edge. That's the coolest sight!
Our next stop was Old Faithful and all the geysers. Briant kept asking me if there was any chance that it wouldn't go off. I think he didn't want his hopes to be let down. I said, "That's why it's called Old Faithful, because it always goes off... faithfully." And sure enough it did.

This buffalo was just sitting there next to it. When it went off, he still just sat there, and watched like it was his form of TV.
We went to a few of the geysers around the area.
We saw a Mommy bison and her baby next to one of the geysers.

I think this one, the "Emerald Geyser", was my favorites because it was so colorful.

But this cliff geyser was pretty cool too! It started to spit up water while we were there and it lasted for probably 5-10 minutes. Then it just stopped and the water actually started to drain. What a sight!
We also saw the Grand Prismatic Geyser. The colors were pretty amazing.
I wish they had something that would somehow let you get over the geyser so you could actually see inside of them and see how deep they are.

On our way out we saw a bunch of cars pulled over on the road (a sign that there is wildlife around and everyone is watching them). As we came closer Briant saw and exclaimed, "A MOOSE!" I delicately said in response, "Uh, Briant, that's an elk."

We stayed for probably 10 minutes watching these two female elk.
Then all of a sudden we hear these elk bugles. It was so cool. I switched the camera over to video and got it on film. Then these two little babies came out. They were so cute and one of them still had a few spots!
I think I got some great shots.
Before we left the Park we also saw a Golden Eagle. I didn't realize these birds are so big!
We had a great time on our mini vacation. Upon seeing all the campsites Briant asked why we didn't go camping ourselves. I stood with my jaw open.
So maybe next year we will go camping in Yellowstone, and see some more sights.

3 comments:

Giggles said...

Briant has too been to Yellowstone. We had a Giles family reunion there in 1984? 1985? I think it was. There has to be pictures around of him somewhere from then.

But then my family drove through Idaho to get there for it and I have no memory of ever being in Idaho. So I guess that evens out.

Melissa Giles said...

Okay, let me clarify... Briant has been to Yellowstone before, but he was 1 or 2 and has no memory of the occasion.

Kyle and Kat said...

No bears! Give it a couple of months and come hang out at our house, you can see all kinds of wildlife! You need to take him to bear world.