Monday, October 5, 2009

Carrots in Love

Well, last week was harvesting time at our house. I meant to post earlier but life was too busy. I dug up all the carrots, radishes, tomatoes and onions. I got a ton of carrots! We've been eating a ton and I still have a whole bowl full. I found this really cool carrot:
I think they are in love. Have you ever seen snuggling carrots?
Really... is anyone in need of some carrots?

My onions aren't very big, but still good (I didn't know you are suppose to hill them up). I dried them out for a couple days outside (thank goodness the weather was good when I did all this), then I stored them downstairs. A lady I was sitting next to at the dinner before the RS Broadcast, said to put them in an old pair of panty hose. So we'll see if that helps them last.
I picked off the rest of my tomatoes, and pulled them up this last Saturday. Glad I did, because it got really cold after that, and then snowed today.
My aunt and I are going to manure and compost gardens hopefully Thursday so after that I can put the garden to bed until next spring.
I have learned so much gardening this year. It really has been a blast! I now know of some things I want to try differently next year. Hopefully my self discipline will be better to water, pick (and put up) and weed! I also need to learn how to put up beans and peas! So if anyone has some good advice... I need it!
P.S. I don't have a pressure cooker. Do I need one? How much are they and were do I find one?

3 comments:

the ginabean said...

I want some carrots!

PS Your cuddling carrots are cute. I've never said that about veggies before, just so you know...

Kyle and Kat said...

You don't need a pressure cooker. I just use one of those canning pots. They take longer, but less dangerous. You can buy the whole kit, canning pot and accessories for $50 at most places. They will be cheaper in a month or so. Check out my blog for the web address I use for all my veggies. I prefer freezing, but even their canning recipes have turned out great. You should try freezing your carrots. FYI if you do a lot your hands will turn orange!!

Tracie said...

call the extension office they will teach you all the latest in canning. I think your carrots are in love too