Well, today as I made my way home from work (on my bike) I had to stop at many lights. I was kinda flustered, thinking to myself, "I hate having to stop at every single light. They need better and safer bike paths in Idaho Falls." I peddled up to the final big intersection I had to cross before I made my turn onto Skyline. "Oh good," I thought, "it's already green, I won't have to wait." Then I saw a truck pulling up from the perpendicular road that I was about to cross. He was slowing to a stop before turning right, as I was coming to the edge of the sidewalk. I looked at him and thought I saw him give me a kind of wave like, "it's okay I see you, I'm stopping, go ahead." I started pedaling, but then I heard the roar of the truck engine, saw the truck rolling towards me, I screamed "Oh my gosh!", and then I went down. Lots of things went through my head as I was being hit by this car. #1 was; "Oh crap, it's happening to me, I should have waited." #2 was; this just happened to my roommate last year, and I thought I was more careful then that. I never thought this would happen to me." #3 was; "I hope I don't get run over."
I quickly jumped up. I knew I wasn't hurt. I gave a gesture to the guy like, "What the heck dude, I thought you saw me!" Then I pulled my bike out of the way. As soon as he got out, we exchanged our
sorrys. I explained I was okay and was kinda checking out my bike. The guy started looking at it with me trying to help me fix it. He gave me his phone number and offered to pay for it to be fixed. Some lady came over and said she had called the ambulance even though I persistently said I was just fine. She said, "I saw him hit you. You need to stop fixing your bike and just make sure you are okay." Something was wrong with my front brake and with my seat

so the guy and I were just talking and trying to see if we could fix it. So we had to wait like 10 minutes for the ambulance just to tell them that I wasn't hurt. When they got there, they asked a few questions and then they started helping me try to fix my front brake. What nice guys. Then they offered to give me a ride home. I said that was okay as long it wouldn't cost me anything. So, now I can say that I've ridden in an ambulance and been hit by a car.
Hm, I'm glad it didn't come with any
consequences.
I know that ridding a bike can be a little dangerous. Especially because the road that I have to ride on has about 6-7 lights and intersections I have to cross. On my was home I always ride on the wrong side of the road (with traffic coming towards me) because I want to be able to see what the cars are doing. People in Idaho Falls aren't always bike
conscious and so I feel like I need to take that
responsibility. After all I don't want to get hit. Well, now I know I have to be all that more careful. And no, I 'm not going to stop riding my bike to work.
7 comments:
Thank goodness you didn't get hurt!!! We're glad you are okay. Steve says next time make sure you do sweet jumps over cars in your way! Hahaha:) He is a goof nut.
I am glad you are okay! Be careful out there!
That is crazy! You have to tell the girls and explain why it is so important to wear a helmet. Glad you are okay. Is the bike?
DANG! I figured you must be mostly okay if you were gonna do a post about it, but I was still nervous about the whole story! I'm glad you're okay!
That is SO scary. I'm glad it didn't turn out any worse than a broken front brake. Hope no unseen injuries crop up.
You are a crazy girl. I am so glad that you are alright and that it wasn't a serious ambulance ride.
Are you okay? Are you okay? I'm so glad you didn't get hurt Missy. Things can happen so quickly, you can never be too careful. I'm glad you are still going to ride your bike to work. Have you thought about putting one of those pink flags on your bike? Ha ha ha ha ha!!!!
Post a Comment