We had Stake Standards Night for the youth about a month ago and the Stake President and his wife spoke. Her talk was focused on this very topic. She stated, "I know I'm somebody, because God doesn't make junk." She gave some counsel to these wonderful teenagers about how to stand up for what is right... which takes courage... which comes from having good self esteem. One of the points she brought out was: "Don't compare yourselves to others. When we do this it's usually our weaknesses against others strengths." I really liked that.
Some friends of mine have written up a list of their strengths & things they were good at on their blogs. I thought this would be a great idea. While we all have weaknesses.... I think it's good to take a few moments every once in a while and focus on our strengths. Sometimes you just have to tell yourself that you are awesome. So today, I am celebrating me. You should do the same. I think it's good therapy!
When I started this list, I thought it would take me a couple days. It actually only took me like 30 minutes.
I probably do like to brag on myself a little, but I'll just chalk one up to seeing the glass half full.
THINGS I'M GOOD AT:
- Organizing: Not like keeping the house spotless, organizing... but like organizing the hall closet, cubby in the corner or getting everything to fit in a spot when someone says it can't be done. I also think I'm pretty good at organizing events & thinking of small details.
- Eating: I know this sounds bad, but what I mean is I'm not picky, I try everything at least once (and even will give it a second try years later), and I'm really good about eating all kinds of veggies and fruits. I even eat stuff if it isn't my favorite, like squash, because I like variety and I know it's good for me.
- I'm positive. I try to give everything the benefit of a doubt.
- Paying Bills: Again, this has something to do with organization. I think I just have a good system.
- Putting my thoughts into words. I love journaling, and I love to spend time thinking of just the right way to present something. Hence, blogging.
- Encouraging people. I think I'm good at talking to a variety of people (whether they are popular or not), boosting their self esteem, and helping them see their true potential. I also think I am a people person, I really enjoy chatting it up... which isn't always a good thing, because sometimes I say things I shouldn't.
- I'm good with the elderly. I try to talk slowly and clearly and just be nice... they are amazing people full of spirit.
- I'm patient with most things.
- I easily forgive & move on. I have been known to rant about things I am passionate about, but I usually let things go pretty well.
- I love to be creative. Whether it is making cards or taking pictures. I love to try new things. I like to design things (like when I make a handout), and make sure the layout is well balanced and all is in the right place.
- I have good handwriting. I've worked hard to have this, and even been known to "start over" many times because it didn't look right.
- I love to laugh & love trying to make others laugh too... even if that means I look like a fool.
- I enjoy growing things. I have lots of house plants that do really well, and whatever I've planted outside has been a success.
- I love kids.
- I'm always willing to try something new... for example: hockey. And so glad I did, it's so much fun.
- I like to help people especially when they are in a bind. I hardly ever said no when coworkers asked me to cover for them at GH (sometimes even if I had to work a double).
- I love to learn, and I ask alot of questions.
- I am observant. Not many things get past me without me noticing.
- I'm good at remembering small, sometimes random details.
- I think I'm good at doing what I think is right... even when it is hard.
Now, it's your turn. Let's hear what you think! Everybody is good at something if not many things. Maybe I'll even get Briant to jot down a list... we haven't heard from him on here in a while... hint hint.
5 comments:
You are really great at quoting 5 movies:
Princess Bride
Galaxy Quest
Willow
Miss Congeniality
The Lion King
Good job. Keep up the good work.
Love,
Briant
And ...
1989 Christmas!
Ky said Monty Python and the Holy Grail
You are really good at making my day each time you call.
You'd make my world if you moved down here...HINT HINT!!!!!!
You are a dream come true - a daughter. I know I have lots of daughters-in-law, whom I love dearly, but a daughter is very special. Sons are great too!!
Post a Comment