Sunday, October 24, 2010

Tribute to Grandpa Fred Giles


I first met Grandpa Giles while Briant and I were dating.  He lived in Provo, UT in an assisted living place. He was 95 years old and sharp as a whip.  Grandpa had a sense of humor and a big heart.  You could tell he cared deeply for his family by the way he talked about each one (people whom I didn't know at the time, but Briant did), and by the pictures he proudly hung on the cork board in his room.  He was so sweet to me, and really cared about our well being.

From that time forward we went to see him each and every time we made a trip to Provo.  He was always excited to see us and greeted us with a big smile.  Grandpa was such a gentleman; he always gave me his soft seat and refused to sit anywhere but in his walker.  I was very impressed with him and his many accomplishments throughout life.

Grandpa has some wonderful children.  As I met Briant's extended family one by one, I just adored them.  They are so kind and I was able to connect with each one.  They genuinely care for you and we always had a good time.

I was so excited to gain another grandpa the day I got married.  All but one of my grandparents had past away, and I had really grown to admire and look up to the older generation.  They are wise, and genuine and just really good people.  So I was happy I had another Grandpa to look up to.

Our Wedding 2008, Grandpa didn't want to be right in the front... but we insisted so he could be seen in the photo.

Gina (my maid-of-honor) and I giving Grandpa a smooch on the cheeks at my wedding.  The Giles Family told me at the time it was some sort of a tradition.  But as you can see Grandpa LOVED it!


This past May, Spencer, Briant and I all went to see Grandpa before Spencer left for his mission. It was really neat to hear Grandpa talk with Spencer.  He told him how proud he was of him for going on a mission.

Grandpa past away in his sleep, on October 10th.  We was a good man.  He fulfilled many responsibilities and many people looked up to him... including me.

Unfortunately, I got the flu the day of Grandpa's funeral.  I was really disappointed because I wanted to pay tribute to this great man.  I made up my mind I felt good enough to go, and decided to just sit / lay in the mothers room and listen.  I cried through the whole thing.  He was an amazing person.  Grandpa received a 21 gun salute for serving in WWII.  It was a really special day.

I learned a very important lesson from all the speakers and from Grandpa's life.  Grandpa didn't preach, he just did.  He taught by example.  He was a very compassionate person full of charity, but he never sought for recognition.   I am so grateful for the example he was to Briant and I, and for all the love and lessons he gave us.

God be with you, Grandpa, till we meet again.

2 comments:

the ginabean said...

Oh no! I hadn't heard! Sorry for y'all! He was a sweet man! (And this was a sweet tribute!)

Giggles said...

It was good to see you and I'm sorry you were sick.

Thank you for this wonderful tribute.

You've got me thinking about the first time Grandpa met Brett.