Sunday, February 22, 2009

Food, Food, and More Food

Since before Christmas, Briant and I have been increasing our plans for food storage. We know that this is something our leaders tell us to have and can be a huge blessing if you head the council. Now is really the perfect timing. I mean think about it; when you are single it really hard to buy and store all that food. At least it was for me. Right after we were married, I was put into Asst. Preparedness in Enrichment for my calling, so I think about this kind of stuff all the time now. Also, with the economy the way it is right now, I think it smart to be planning ahead. My mom pointed out to me yesterday that, if you have nothing left, what do you need to survive? Food. Nuf said.
So on a day off from work last week, I buckled down and cleaned out where all this was going. We have a perfect location under our stairs, it's kinda cramped but it totally does the job. That really got me pumped and excited to fill it up. Also, I cleaned out the pantry/ linen closet upstairs to make more room too. I did a lot of organizing that day and it felt so good. I think I'm really good at condensing things to make them fit. My Aunt always used to say, "It's like stacking hay." Well, if I were to stack hay... I think I'd be pretty good at it.
Anyway back to what is at hand:
So B and I took a trip to the grocery store yesterday. First we did a little pricing to see where to get the best deals, then we started the buying. Let me just tell you how good it feels to shop for your food storage. I know, I know, that sounds pretty dumb but it really does give you some great piece of mind. In fact when we got done, we had spent less than we had budgeted, so I get to plan and buy some more. We are just starting our Three Month Storage right now, but as time goes on we'll get into all the other stuff too. I think getting water will be first on our list, since it is very important. Go HERE if you want more information on Food Storage. Or let me know, because of my calling, I have plenty on hand right now.
Also, another shout out to my In-Laws! They sent us quit a few buckets
full of Rice, Wheat and Oats for our Long Term Food Storage. That was really nice!
Here are some pict of our progress:
The Pantry

The rest under the stairs:

5 comments:

Audra said...

Looks like you've made a really good start- Now comes the really hard part keeping it all rotated!

Julie Baldwin said...

I totally understand how hard it is to have food storage when you don't have a lot of room. We keep stuffing stuff in every corner of our house. Our ward does a really cool Enrichment group. They call it Wheat Watchers. They even have a blog http://imawheatwatcher.blogspot.com/ you should check it out for more cool food storage ideas.
Our big food storage things are...1.Buy when they have the Case Lot sale so we can get more for less. 2. Whatever money is left in the food budget at the end of the month goes to food storage. 3. When our ward has canary assignments we go so we can buy the canary items.
Good Luck!

Lara Zierke said...

You'll have to let me know where the best deals are. I have some storage and it grows, but slowly.

Melissa Giles said...

Walmart has a steal of a deal right now on their broths. They had a few other good deals but we got most of our stuff at Winco. And we usually don't buy too many brand name items, the stores kind taste exactly the same and it way cheaper!

Tracie said...

Way to go!! Way to be prepared!!