Sunday, November 16, 2008

Tribute to Grandma

My Grandma is a very special person to me because in fact she is the only Grandma that I've ever known. I was privileged to grow up just around the corner from her, so as you can imagine she was a very big part of my life.

Grandma and Grandpa had a beautiful farm that they managed for many years and we were always allowed to help. When we would go over, all my brothers would go help Grandpa with the chores, but I was kind of little back then, so I couldn't really help much (except when Grandpa would let me gather eggs and watch him milk the cow). I usually spent my time with Grandma.

I’ve learned so much from her.

Grandma used to spend hours in the garden. She had a very big green thumb. Her flowers were beautiful and there were always so many. Her vegetable garden always had good food and she loved sharing it with us. It didn’t matter how hot it was in the summer, you could always find Grandma spending some of her day working in the garden to make it look the best she could.

Grandma grew up in the Great Depression. She didn’t waste anything if she could help it. She had this quote on her fridge that she lived by,

“Eat it up, wear it out.
Make it do, or do without.”

Grandma taught me not to waste anything if I could help it.

My Grandma taught me to like tomatoes. I never used to like them at all. One day when my brother and I were mowing her lawn, my Grandma came over from the garden with a handful of tomatoes (she did this often, always eager to share). As I passed by on their riding lawn mower she handed me a couple. I really didn’t like them but I didn’t want to hurt her feelings. So I popped them in my mouth, and you know, I can remember liking them ever since.

After my Grandpa died, my Grandma and I became a lot closer. Our family lived the closest so we would always go get her and bring her to our house for dinner. We always had good times with her. I would always tell her that I loved her, and she would tell me she loved me too, to which I would always reply, “I love you more.” She would just chuckle and say, “Oh you think so, huh?”

Soon, the time came when we would go and spend the night with Grandma in case she needed assistance with anything. My aunt would come and stay with her a few nights a week and then my mom and I would trade off the other nights. My grandma taught me a lot about patience in those days.

After some time, my mom and her family decided it was time to put Grandma into an assisted living home. A few years after she had been living there I moved out of my parent’s home and I lived a lot closer to her. I decided that I wanted to go see her more often. That summer I went to see her every Thursday after work. Grandma couldn’t say a lot to us in those days and sometimes I wasn’t sure if she remembered who I was. She had her good days and her bad days but everyday I went to see her was defiantly worth it. I would share stories with her of my daily life, and the stories she had told me about herself growing up. Sometimes she didn’t say anything but other times she would give me a nod or a chuckle. One time I winked at her, and she winked back. She would always wave at me before I would leave. And one day before I left I told her I loved her, and she said to me, “I love you more.”

Sometimes friends and family would wonder out loud to me why my Grandma was still around, and what assignments she still had in this life. But I figured this out a few months ago. Even though Grandma couldn’t say much to me those times I went to see her, she still taught me a lot. Grandma taught me what Charity really is. Charity is loving and doing, and not expecting anything in return.

My Grandma passed away this last Tuesday. I went to see her the day before and spent a couple hours with her. She opened her eyes the widest she had opened them in a week, and she squeezed my hand for an hour or so. Before I left I hugged her and told her I loved her.

She was 89 years old and she lived a great life. I am so grateful for my Grandma and the great example she was to me. I hope that I can live up to that example and I want to do what she taught me because she was such a great person. I know that she is happy now, because she is with Grandpa. She loves him so much.

Grandma had a horse drawn hearse to the cemetery (the same as Grandpa). They asked my Aunt to ride along with the driver, and he let her drive the last mile. The field behind them in this picture is the field my Grandparents farmed when they lived in Lincoln.

All of my brothers were pallbearers, along with my cousins. Many of us wore red instead of black, because red was her favorite color.

I love my Grandma so much, and I am sad I can't spend anymore time with her. But I know I will see her again and that God has made it possible through the Atonement of Jesus Christ for us to be with her forever. God be with you, Grandma, till we meet again.

4 comments:

Audra said...

I am so sorry to hear about your grandma- I only met her a few times but was always impressed by how kind she was... Thinking of you and your family!

Kyle and Kat said...

That was very nice. It was a very nice service.
Hope you don't mind I stole your picture.

Julie Baldwin said...

That's why I like going to the temple so much...the people that I love who are gone don't feel so far away there.

Lara Zierke said...

I'm sorry for your loss. She sounds like a fantastic lady.