Saturday, January 2, 2010

Briant's Most Memorable Moment of 2009

What a great year 2009 was! So before I get too deep into 2010, I'd like to share my most memorable moment of the past year. Yes, 2009 was highlighted by some great moments, but none of them quite stands out like this one. No, not even celebrating our 1 year anniversary was more memorable than this.

It was late one night and Melissa was in our bedroom reading a book. It must have been a captivating story; she had been in there on the bed reading the book for quite some time. Well I was getting tired, so I decided to hop in bed and go to sleep. I was able to break her attention from the book for just a second to ask her if I could turn off the bedroom light and if she could just turn on the lamp on her nightstand to continue reading. She did, so I got in bed and within a few minutes I was dozing off.

As I lay there slipping in and out of sleep, I began to hear some sniffles coming from beside me. I was on my stomach facing the opposite direction of Melissa, so I rolled over and looked at her. I could see she had tears in her eyes and was beginning to cry. I wondered to myself, "Did I do something to hurt her feelings? Did I forget to kiss her good night? Was she mad at me?" I quietly asked her if she was ok.

"Yes," she said.

"Did I do something that upset you?" I asked.

"No," she replied.

"Well, what's wrong?"

A moment of silence as tears were coming down her face.

And then, through her sniffles, she mustered the words I will never forget...

"Edward broke up with Bella."

Another moment of silence because I didn't know what to say. I rolled back over, thinking it would be best to just let my wife come to grips with the tragedy, the heartbreak, on her own. I would be there for support if she needed it, but I knew Melissa was strong and could overcome this heart-wrenching episode in her life by simply continuing to read "New Moon."

6 comments:

Gurr Family said...

That is hilarious! I laughed right out loud. Melissa I feel your pain. I love those books. Briant thanks for sharing.

the ginabean said...

That's pretty much hilarious, especially from your point of view. Bwa ha!

cindy baldwin said...

HA!!! I laughed so hard that I had to read it out loud to Mahon, and he laughed too. Very funny.........

Tracie said...

that made me laugh too!!

Kyle and Kat said...

That was awesome! I too was laughing out loud!

Lara Zierke said...

LOL! Melissa, if you're reading this, please know that Briant has told this story at work several times. It's the best. Love it!

P.S. I cried at that part too!